Gibson Co. considering new morgue in long-term plans | Health
Gibson County coroner Barrett Doyle says residents that pass away in the area are either transferred to local funeral homes or stored at the morgue in Vanderburgh County.
Doyle says about 100 bodies were transported to the morgue last year. Morgue fees are low, only $100 per body, but officials say a new morgue in the county would be more cost efficient.
Doyle says a county morgue is a primary goal, but because of budget limitations has been put on the back burner.
Officials in Warrick County are also looking into the possibility of building a morgue in their county. Warrick County hopes that neighboring counties to the east would be interested in using it's facility.
Doyle says the Warrick County morgue would have to offer significant advantages over the facility in Vanderburgh County because it would be further to travel.
Top Gibson County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Illinois House approves gun plan opposed by governor
- State treasurer asks Illinois residents for help finding owners of forgotten military medals
- Wabash County unemployment down significantly from '12; mixed results elsewhere
- Lt. Gov. encourages new 6th-12th grade math courses
- Rainbows in southern Illinois