Fire extinguishers cause trouble for crew fighting Princeton fire | News
A spark from a grinding machine inside the Mid-States Rubber Factory in Princeton sent flames into the roof this morning.
Officials say workers were using a rubber press when a spark caught nearby material on fire. A ventilation fan in the ceiling pulled that fire through the roof.
Workers tried to put out the fire, but only made things more difficult for firefighters.
"Employees used several fire extinguishers to no avail, it didn't really help the situation other than it made a mess and made it hard for the guys to see when they got inside," said Fire Chief Mike Pflug.
Firefighters were able to use water buckets and hoses on the roof to contain the fire from spreading.
No one was injured in the accident.
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
Top Gibson County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Illinois House approves gun plan opposed by governor
- State treasurer asks Illinois residents for help finding owners of forgotten military medals
- Wabash County unemployment down significantly from '12; mixed results elsewhere
- Lt. Gov. encourages new 6th-12th grade math courses
- Rainbows in southern Illinois