Gibson County Sheriff's Office turns 200 | News
The Gibson County Sheriff's Office turns 200 this month.
Sheriff George Ballard has been researching the history of the department for several years. He says the county used to be much bigger than it is today. It went all the way out to New Harmony and included Dubois and Pike as well.
Ballard says he's learned about a lot of surprising things including the county's only hanging took place in the 1800's outside of where the jail is today.
"They actually put boards up outside the area where the gallows were built, so that you would actually charge admission to get in, and they'd have a ticket to get in and see this," said Sheriff Ballard. "They hired a professional hangman from over in Illinois."
Ballard has been sheriff since the 1975. He says he can actually remember days when they had nobody in jail.
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
Top Gibson County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fracking bill becomes law in Illinois; Quinn predicts jobs potential
- Mt. Carmel looking for Independence Day parade entries
- Thunderstorms, flooding possible in southern IL
- Governor Quinn announces $135,000 for bridge replacement project in Edwards County
- State Police: Truck flips multiple times on IL 15