1925 Griffin Tornado Anniversary | News
Today is the anniversary of the Tri-State Tornado that is the worst tornado disaster in U-S history. On March 18, 1925, the storm had one of the longest paths…nearly 220 miles…of any recorded tornado. The three hour tour across Missouri, Illinois, and southwest Indiana claimed a tornado record 689 lives.
In Southwest Indiana, the tornado hit Griffin, Owensville, Princeton, and Petersburg. 26 killed in Griffin; 45 dead in Princeton. 100% of the town of Griffin was destroyed. To this day, Griffin, Indiana…is one of the few towns to be 100% destroyed by a tornado.
This was an era without tornado watches and warnings. Forecasts were provided be local newspapers and word of mouth. However, severe weather forecasts were uncommon.
Top Gibson County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Illinois House approves gun plan opposed by governor
- State treasurer asks Illinois residents for help finding owners of forgotten military medals
- Wabash County unemployment down significantly from '12; mixed results elsewhere
- Lt. Gov. encourages new 6th-12th grade math courses
- Rainbows in southern Illinois