Former Princeton teammates back together at WVC | Sports & Recreation
Former Princeton High basketball standout Rontray Chavis is transferring to Wabash Valley College after one year at Redlands Community College in Oklahoma.
Chavis, a 6-4 forward, holds the county's career scoring record with 1,601 points.
He told the Princeton Daily Clarion that he wanted to be closer to family and friends. He'll also be reunited with a former teammate on the 2009 Indiana Class 3A champs.
Jalen Packer, a 6-2 guard and owner of the county's career assists record, is also part of the team at the Mt. Carmel junior college.
“Jalen is a big factor in my decision," Chavis said of his move. "When he transferred to Wabash Valley (from NCAA Division I Western Illinois), that was the deciding thing for me. It made me want to go to Wabash Valley.”
Rontray's twin brother Dontray Chavis is also transferring from Redlands. His decision is expected in a few days.
At Redlands, Rontray averaged 10.7 points and 7.2 rebounds while playing in 21 of the team’s 26 games.
Top Gibson County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Illinois House approves gun plan opposed by governor
- State treasurer asks Illinois residents for help finding owners of forgotten military medals
- Wabash County unemployment down significantly from '12; mixed results elsewhere
- Lt. Gov. encourages new 6th-12th grade math courses
- Rainbows in southern Illinois