Titan freshman now owns scoring record | Sports & Recreation
Local basketball fans are still buzzing about what Maddie Raley has done over the last few days. The 6-foot freshman for Gibson Southern broke the school scoring record by piling up 36 points in a win over South Spencer this week.
The outburst came after a 34-point night last Thursday that tied the record set by Tracy Hyatt Steed in the mid-1980s.
“I’ve never met Mrs. Steed, but I’ve heard a lot about what a good player she was. So this means a lot,” Maddie told our media partner, the Princeton Daily Clarion.
She also had a game-high nine rebounds and three assists as the Lady Titans raised their records to 13-8 overall and 6-1 in the PAC.
If they can beat Heritage Hills Thursday night in the final game of the regular season, Gibson Southern will earn a share of the Pocket Athletic Conference championship with Southridge.
Top Gibson County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Illinois House approves gun plan opposed by governor
- State treasurer asks Illinois residents for help finding owners of forgotten military medals
- Wabash County unemployment down significantly from '12; mixed results elsewhere
- Lt. Gov. encourages new 6th-12th grade math courses
- Rainbows in southern Illinois