Lightning electrifies Haubstadt | Weather
It is estimated that lightning strikes the earth 100 times per second. A lot of those strikes happened over Gibson County on Friday night and early Saturday morning. Thunderstorms packing hail, wind and intense lightning battered the Tri-State on Friday night and Saturday. No damage or injuries reported, but we did get a couple of inches of rain in most locations.
Steve and Sarah Gifford shot several pictures of the lightning bolts. These bolts can be over 10 miles long and are five times hotter than the sun.
Lightning can strike from cloud-to-cloud, cloud-to-ground and also ground-to-cloud.
The safest place during lightning is inside a building or vehicle. You should wait at least 30 minutes after the last strike before resuming outdoor activites.
Want more Gibson County news? Bookmark our home page: http://gibsoncounty.14wfie.com/
Top Gibson County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Started a business? Want to? Seminar can help
- Daviess County foster parents to be honored at state event
- Daviess Co. Sheriff's Office takes steps to promote safe driving during summer
- O'boro man facing over 1,000 counts of child porn appears in court
- Come "sit down" with the DCPS superintendent this morning